The death of Irene, 17 years old and allergic to milk protein, has generated consternation in Spanish society. The young woman was having coffee with friends when she suffered a cardiorespiratory arrest and, although she was transferred to the ICU of the Alcázar de San Juan Hospital (Ciudad Real), she could not save her life. “Given the tragic event that has recently spread to the media,” The Spanish Society of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (Seaic) has decided to pronounce “on behalf of all Spanish allergists” through a statement sent to the press.
First of all, in view of Irene’s death, “extremely allergic to cow’s milk proteins” she wishes to express “her deepest condolences to her parents, family and friends for the irreparable loss of her loved one, and even more so in the case of a such a young person. Rest in Peace.” Secondly, Seaic emphasizes “reminding the general population that allergic diseases, especially if they are allergy to food, medication, latex, or insect venomthey can have very abrupt and generalized manifestations in the person who suffers from them“.
In some cases, they continue, “with a fatal or near-fatal outcome when the allergic individual comes into contact with the substance that induces their allergy, no matter how small the amounts of said substance may be“. Faced with these facts, “We ask that these types of allergies are not taken lightly. and precautionary measures are taken when an allergic person informs us and requests that caution be exercised in avoiding a specific allergen”.
Finally, they insist “on the need for the patients themselves, as well as all the people close to them, to ensure that they always carry the necessary medications to treat an allergic reaction, especially adrenaline auto-injectors.” In line, they encourage promoting the “correct management” of these tools and “when they should be administered, because early administration of these drugs may be decisive in achieving a favorable outcome of a severe anaphylactic reaction”.
And they conclude: “Expressing our condolences once again, the group of Spanish allergists, together with the organizations of allergic patients, researchers, pharmaceutical laboratories and other institutions involved We continue working to improve the quality of life of allergy sufferers and decrease the risks associated with anaphylaxis.
The young woman died during some diocesan gatherings. It was the parish of the Assumption of Our Lady of Campo de Criptana that reported the incident, which happened during a religious meeting. “Irene suffered a unexpected setback -for reasons beyond the organization-since she is allergic to lactose and in her free time drinking coffee with some friends the fatality of being contaminated with lactose occurred,” they indicated.
What is a milk protein allergy?
Allergy to milk proteins is a disease characterized by an “exaggerated” response of the immune system (defences) to milk proteins. Mainly, it occurs towards beta-lactoglobulin and casein. The first is not found in breast milk. These proteins are recognized as foreign in the body and the production of antibodies begins, including Immunoglobulin E, and chemical substances such as histamine that cause the symptoms are secreted. Its cause is genetic.
Allergy to milk can cause anaphylaxis, a life-threatening reaction and which causes narrowing of the airways and can block breathing. Milk is the third most common food, after peanuts (peanuts) and tree nuts, that causes anaphylaxis.
- A 17-year-old girl dies allergic to milk after having a coffee with friends in Ciudad Real